A journey through ACL surgery and recovery with sarcasm, wittiness, graphic details, humor, and postive reminders.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Pain Scale = Useless.

What is the point of the pain scale? I literally pull a number out of a unicorn's butt when asked what my pain scale is.

The last time I was questioned about my pain-- I tried to argue the cause. Ok, every time I am asked, I argue the cause. I think it's stupid. The doctor/nurse/PT will then always point to this gem on the wall:


Oh ok, that explains it! Really? How does this chart help me in any way decipher how bad my pain is? Well it hurts a little bit, but maybe a whole lot, maybe even more... what? The pain descriptions don't even go in order. Why is a whole lot more than even more? Which brings me to a better chart that they should think about switching over to:

I mean, I definitely know when I was able to walk it off, and when I decided that crying was for sissies. This is a much easier way to chart my pain. In which case am I judging on the photo or the word description. because facewise, I would say I look like a 3. That being said, 3 doesn't seem so bad, so why I am having surgery?

Well I am having surgery because that expensive piece of machinary known as an MRI (shout out to BCBS for being stupid and not paying for it) told me my ACL is torn.

In closing, I think that if the MRI is showing a torn ACL, and I am having surgery either way... what is the purpose of the pain chart? It makes no difference one way or another in how they are handling my situation. All it does is make me a difficult patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment