A journey through ACL surgery and recovery with sarcasm, wittiness, graphic details, humor, and postive reminders.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

No comedic youtube video for me

I will admit it, my husband was right.

I watched a million youtube videos of everything having to do with ACL surgery-- the actual surgery, the recovery, and then finally... coming out of anesthesia. I begged Kyle to videotape me coming out of anesthesia because I thought it would be fun to make fun of myself later. Kyle said no, he would not do that, it's a private thing, my mom took his side, I pouted, etc. Turns out it is pretty awesome that they chose that route, because me coming out of anesthesia was not pretty, and quite frankly it was a little scary.

I remember bits and pieces, but it was horrible. Since I didn't have my glasses on, I think it heightened my panic, so that didn't help. The first time I woke up, I couldn't see, and I was shaking uncontrollably.  I started panicking because I didn't know where anyone was. The nurse came over pretty quickly I am sure, but it felt like forever. I told her I couldn't stop shaking and I couldn't see. I remember her telling me that I was convulsing and it was a normal side effect that some people have, and they were giving me demerol to control it. She also said she would get Kyle for me.

The next time I woke up I was still shaking, Kyle was there, and I felt horrible. The nurse was there, and was telling us that they were giving me another dose of demerol because my shaking had not stopped yet. At his point I remember them talking about concern that my heart rate wasn't stabilizing. It kept spiking up and down, and it wasn't settling. I think I fell asleep again. I remember hearing the concern in Kyle and the nurse's voice. I wish he didn't have to worry about me like that.



The next time I woke up, I was in the room I had started in before surgery. They were discussing whether I would be staying for observation or not. I was told before that there was a chance I would be staying, but given my inscrutableness, I am sure that didn't help. I really really really did not want to stay over. I was so uncomfortable, I felt absolutely horrible. The shaking had stopped, but I felt so anxious. After I hung out for a while longer, drank like 3 cans of gingerale, and had some crackers... they ok'ed me to go home. Thank god.


I was totally drugged up, and I don't remember leaving the hospital, but I do remember being put in the car-- I remember sitting in the back super excited about the strawberry milkshake I was about to get, and I am pretty sure I google chatted Scott and Steph. not sure what I said, but there was definitely some conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment