A journey through ACL surgery and recovery with sarcasm, wittiness, graphic details, humor, and postive reminders.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

One Week Follow Up with Dr. A

I can't believe it has already been 8 days since surgery. It has not been fun, but I am past one of the hardest points, and that makes me happy- although I know I have a lot of painful hardwork in the future. After visiting with Dr. A today I feel alot more positive and confident with my recovery.

I finally am starting to feel back to normal- not as much nausea, not as tired. That first week was rough. I felt like crap. There is no other way to describe it. I remember almost nothing from last week. I actually don't even remember writing my blog posts. I don't remmeber conversations, but I do remember bits and pieces of events. I just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone that has come to visit me over the last week. Visitors took my mind of the pain, and put be in better spirits. So... Mom, Dad, Lindsey, Grams & Gramps, Amelia, Jen, Jon, Scott, and my in laws... thank you so much for spending time with me. It meant alot. Also a huge thanks to my mom and hubby- for being my nurses all last week when I couldn't do anything on my own... and for comforting me when I was frustrated and in pain. I also received so many great gifts, and I am thankful for having my Pumknpie Steph who I wish lived closer, and hopefully will soon.

So, waking up this morning I was very stressed about my doctor's appointment. I felt like I wasn't maybe where I was supposed to be with PT, especially since I stopped taking pain killers on day 2. Maybe if I took them, I could have pushed harder. I felt supper nervous about getting my stitches out-- Kyle makes fun of me because when y surgery was planned, I was more worried about getting my stitches out then the actual surgery. I mean, I know that is ridiculous, but I am ridiculous.

Here is what my leg looked like at day 5:

(Doesn't that incision look like Frankenstein??)


 I got to the surgeon's office and got stitches taking out of my arthroscopic holes. It stung a little, but nothing I couldn't handle. From there, I went in to get x-rays, then back to the room to get the long stitches out of my incision. That wasn't so bad either, although I was so nervous I was sweating. Then Dr. A came in-- had me do a few things and then told me how great I have progressed. Holy crap did that feel awesome to hear. My mobility is ahead of schedule, and he thinks I will be off crutches sooner than originally thought!


My xrays show that I am healing well inside- and he said my new ACL feels solid which is great news. He said that my case was rare- the original plan was to harvest my hamstring and so after going in my hamstring wasn't big enough, so in addition he also used a cadaver ligament. So yes, I have a dead person in me. Awesome!

So the plan for now is that I start actual PT next Friday. I am going to a new physical therapist, so I will be starting over fresh. I am excited to get going and strengthen up my leg. As of right now, my left leg looks a little like I have Polio. I would like to get them back to the same size... right now my left leg is significantly smaller than the right. I think that I will measure so that I can track my process.

I feel great, I feel positive (a big change from last week and even this morning), and I am looking forward to getting back to normal.

Important things: Laughing, Determination, Nail Polish, Ibuprofen, Ginger Ale, Tissues, and a Husband, Family, and Friends that know what you need without having to tell them.



No comments:

Post a Comment