A journey through ACL surgery and recovery with sarcasm, wittiness, graphic details, humor, and postive reminders.

Friday, July 6, 2012

3 week update and ramble. Strawberry shortcake is so good.

Last night was my 3rd session of PT. I went in with a gloomy attitude. I had gotten a lot of mediocre news at my last visit so I was in desperate need of good news. Since there was a complication with my hamstring graft, Dr. A used both my hamstring AND cadaver to create my new replacement ligament. Having an autograft and allograft is not super common, so my PT wanted to be very cautious until she talked to Dr. A to see what differences there would be in me rehab. The definite differences right off the bat were the brace I am in currently as well as the timeframe for weight bearing. Usually when this surgery goes as planned, I would be in a brace that looks like an immobilizer brace, but it has hinges at the knee to allow motion-- not full motion, they can set it to give you more and more as you heal. I am in a full immobilizer brace of hell. Also, weight bearing is allowed much quicker when your surgery goes the way it is supposed to. He told her absolutely no weight bearing until July 4th. I didn't say anything at first, but I guess I didn't really think about what weight bearing meant, as I was doing it in the days after my surgery. That, and I don't really listen to people in general. I did confess that I broke the weight bearing rule last night to my PT, and she did not seem impressed. Either way, going forward I can now  be full weight bearing WITH my crutches only. Nothing crazy. I still have the crutches, and even if I wanted to I can't walk without them because 1. I have zero muscle control in my quads and hamstrings, which is important when walking 2. I don't have full range of motion and 3. I am still in a full leg immobilizer brace.

I walked into therapy last night and first I saw my surgeon's daughter- who tore her ACL the same day I found out that I tore my ACL- she had her surgery about 4 weeks before me because she didn't hold off until the end of the dance year like I did. Seeing her made me feel so much better right off the bat. She was walking normal without crutches, and she was doing some pretty strenuous rehab without looking like she was in agonizing pain. Granted, I will not be on the same time frame as her hamstring autograft happened without a problem. I will be delayed from that, but I still think I won't be too far behind. That was encouraging to me.

My PT then let me know she spoke to Dr. A which I wasn't expecting because he was on vacation. He basically said that I am still in the immobilizer because they wanted to be careful with the combo graft. He informed her that I am ready for weight bearing, and that I will be skipping the hinged brace all together. Once I build up enough strength in my hamstring and quad, I can ditch the brace and just use crutches.... then from there I will get off the crutches. It sounds soon but it is not. It will take weeks to get my muscles back to a strength that will allow me to lose the brace/crutches. I can't get too excited, but I'm not gonna lie, I was excited. Finally a vague timeline! I love timelines.

I did leg raises for the first time today and she said to do 5-10 while holding 10 seconds, I did 20-- because I'm badass and because I want to get the hell out of this brace.

Anyways, feeling better again after my dip in moods yesterday. I was feeling bad for myself again, but I am feeling way better now. I accomplished 2 hours of PT successfully and without crying or tearing up or being a baby in any form.

So my goal is to work my butt off for the next 2 weeks. That's when my follow up with Dr. A is and I am sure he will test me and decide where I stand with that huge awful heavy annoying immobilizer. Fingers crossed.

Here is a pic from PT last night-- how fun does that look???


I would like to thank my PT for picking at my scabs, because I sure as hell wasn't going to do it.




And also while we are giving shout outs-- kudos to Kyle for making a ridiculously good strawberry shortcake for me on July 4th in between my whining about my inability to crutch somewhere to see fireworks and refusal to sit in a wheelchair so he could push me to fireworks, and then having the fireworks cancelled anyways so I was pouting about nothing... typical.

Strawberry shortcake is like heaven in dessert form. I have no turn off switch. I could eat that until I exploded. I have to be given a portion and that's it. It is so friggin good. So good. Every time I have strawberry shortcake, it's the best day of my life. BEST DAY OF MY LIFFFFFFFFFE!!!!!


Thank you to those certain people in my life that know what I need and are always there to give it to me-- you have helped me tremendously so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment